Articles / Cheremenetsky Monastery of St. John the Theologian

Cheremenetsky Monastery of St. John the Theologian

Subject / Religion. Church/Monasteries and convents

The Cheremenetsky Monastery of St. John the Theologian (the locality of Cheremenets, the Luga district). The monastery was founded in 1478 according to the order of Ioann III on an island of Cheremenetsky Lake. In the second half of the 16th century the Cathedral St. John the Theologian was built from limestone plates and boulders on the high artificial mound instead of the wooden church. In 1580 was ravaged by Lithuanians; in 1664 it was attached to the Vyazhishchsky Monastery of St. Nicholas located near Novgorod. In 1707 the stone church of the Transfiguration of Christ was built for the money of the nobleman Ye.V. Kuritsin on the place of the church of the 16th century. In the second half of the 18th century the cathedral was enlarged with the accessory building of a refectory with the tall pier-shaped bell tower, in 1845 it became five-domed. Under the hegumen Antony (from 1862 until 1868) and his successor Avraamy the monastery was equipped with modern services and utilities, repaired, the church of the Transfiguration of Christ was rebuilt in the Russian style (1867; the architect K.K. Kolman). Since 1838 a religious procession from the monastery to the town of Luga every year. In the late 19th century a neck of land was made between the island and the lake shore. In 1902 a church-parish school was constructed on the design of the architect N.G. Kudryavtsev, in 1914-1916 the cathedral was repaired according N.G. Kudryavtsev's design too. The monastery and both churches were closed in 1930. It is supposed the cathedral was blown up ""for brick"" (two walls and altar apsis are survived) in 1946. The church of the Transfiguration of Christ was used as a Community Centre, the inner decorations and paintings were lost. The cemetery was almost completely destroyed. The monastery buildings were returned in 1992 for a residence of the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra. Since 1997 the monsatery works, hegumen Mitrophan (Osyak) is the superior. Public worships are performed in the church of the Transfiguration of Christ. The main monastery object worship is the Icon of St. John the Theologian. This icon is one of the oldest in churches of the North-West. The superior house, cell buildings and hotel buildings (the 1860s) , refectory, some utility constructions of the 19th century are survived. Since 2002 the Holy Trinity monastery city residence works in St. Petersburg.

Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Abrahamy, father superior
Antony (Bochkov), Father Superior
Ioann III
Kolman, Karl Karlovich
Kyritsyn, Yemelyan Vasilyevich
Mitrofan, father superior (Mikhail Aleksandrovich Osyak)
Mitrofan, father superior (Mikhail Aleksandrovich Osyak)

Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District/Cheremenets Locality
Topographical landmarks/Cheremenetskoye Lake
Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District/Luga Town

Историко-статистические сведения о Санкт-Петербургской епархии. Вып. 2. СПб., 1871., С.239-256
ЦГИА СПб. Ф. 860., С.239-256
Земля Невская Православная: Краткий церковно-исторический справочник / Науч. ред. В.В. Антонов. СПб., 2006., С. 113-114

Mentioned in articles:

Antony (Bochkov) (1803-1872), hegumen, clergy figure
Antony (Aleksey Polikarpovich Bochkov; 1803-1872), a hegumen, clergy figure, ecclesiastical writers. He studied in a private boarding school, took part in literary life. In the 1820s he often went to Revel; he published some essays, two stories... more

Gavriil (Petrov-Shaposhnikov) (1730-1801), metropolitan, clergy figure
Gavriil (Petr Petrovich Petrov-Shaposhnikov; 1730-1803), a metropolitan, clergy figure. P.P. Petrov-Shaposhnikov was born in the famoly of a priest, in 1753 he was graduated from the Slave-Greek-Latin Academy in Moscow. Since 1754 he worked in the... more

Icons, revered and miracle-working
Icons, revered and miracle-working. The Miracle-Working Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God, according to the legend , was painted by Apostle Luke. It was moved from Jerusalem to Constantinopole, where it dissappeared in 1383 and it appeared above... more

Ioann (Snychev) (1927-1995), metripolitan, clergy figure
Ioann (Ivan Matveyevich Snychev;1927–1995) metropolitan. He studied at the Technical College in Orsk; from 1945 he was in the city of Buzuluk, firatly as a lay brother, then he was a subdeacon of Bishop of Chkalovsk and Buzuluk Manuil... more

Kudryavtsev, Nikolay Galaktionovich (1856 - 1941), an architect
Kudryavtsev, Nikolay Galaktionovich (1856 - 1941), an architect. Kudryavtsev graduated from the St. Petersburg Building College in 1877. He served at the Technology Building Committee of the Ministry of Internal Affairs from 1877-1896). Не was a... more

Orthodox monasteries
The Othodox monasteries. The oldest monasteries located on the territory of the Leningrad Oblast - the Monastery of the Dormition, the Monastery of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and the Zastenny Monastery of St. George in Ladoga were founded... more

The Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ (Luga Town)
The Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ (Luga Town, 54 Kirov Street). In 1869 the trusteeship for building a new church was organised in connection with considerable growth of the parish people of the cathedral of St. Catherine the Martyr in... more