Articles / Holy Trinity Monastery of St. Antony Dymsky, the

Holy Trinity Monastery of St. Antony Dymsky, the

Subject / Religion. Church/Monasteries and convents

The Holy Trinity Monastery of St. Anthony Dymsky (the settlement of Bronevik, the Boksitogorsk district) is one of the ancientest in the Saint Petersburg eparchy. It was founded by Venerable Anthony Dymsky (according to a version of the hagiography Venerable Anthony Dymsky was born in the middle of the 12th century and died in 1224; according to another version he lived in 1206-1273) who settled on the shore of Dymsky Lake to live in solitude. During more than thirty years he lived there practising the spiritual education of the Onega Lake Region. The holy relics of Saint Anthony were found in 1370. The monastery was ravaged twice: in 1409 it was done by a detachment of Khan Yedigey, then it was ravaged in the Troubled Times (after 1611). The brethren of the Valaam Monastery which was brought in ruin by Swedes took refuge in the Holy Trinity Monastery of St. Anthony Dymsky from 1578 until 1618. The first stone cathedral in the name of Venerable Anthony the Great, the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God and Saint Nicholas was constructed in 1656. Since 1692 the monastery was included in the Sophia archiereus house. During 1764-1794 the monastery was abolished, then restored. The second tier of the cathedral with the Holy Communion tables of the Holy Trinity and Venerable Anthony Dymsky was built in 1806. The wooden cathedral of the Nativity of St. John the Precursor was reconstructed in 1783 and 1840. After 1917 the wooden church was destroyed, the cathedral was closed in 1934-1937. The last hieromonk Job was killed. Different organisations were placed in the monastery building ; the monastery buildings and fences were demolished, in 1956 the cathedral was destroyed ( except low tiers of the bell tower). In 1997 the community of monks was restored as a scete of the Tikhvin Monastery of the Dormition. A building of the boiler-house (was built in the 1960s) was reequipted for the church, the cathedral has been restoring (according to the design of the architect Ye.P. Varakin). The brethren live in former guest cells. The superior building is in ruins now. In July 2001 the Holy relics of Venerable Anthony Dymsky were found the second time and moved into the Cathedral of the Dormition of the Tikhvin Monastery.

Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Antony Dymsky, St.
Edigey (Idigu)
Job (Ivan Izmailov), priest in monastic order
Varakin, Yevgeny Pavlovich

Topographical landmarks/Dymskoye Lake
Leningrad Oblast, the/Boksitogorsk District/Krashiy Bronevik Village

Иоанн, иеромонах. Историко-статистическое описание Дымского монастыря. Новгород, 1901
Земля Невская Православная: Краткий церковно-исторический справочник / Науч. ред. В.В. Антонов. СПб., 2006.
Преподобный Антоний Дымский / Сост. свящ. Геннадий Беловолов. СПб.; Тихвин, 2002.

Subject Index
Eparchy of Saint Petersburg
Tikhvin Dormition Convent, the

Mentioned in articles:

Bashutsky, Aleksandr Pavlovich (1803-1876), a literary man
Aleksandr Pavlovich Bashutsky (1803-1876), a literary man, publisher. During 1811-1822 he learned at the Page College. During 1824-1832 Bashutsky was an aide-de-camp of St. Petersburg governors: M.A. Miloradovich, P.V. Golenishchev-Kutuzov, P.K.... more

Boksitogorsk District
BOKSITOGORSK DISTRICT, a part of Leningrad Oblast. Population: 34,800. Area: 7163 sq. km. Adm. center: Boksitogorsk Town. The district comprises Yefimovsky urban settlement and 275 inhabited localities. It borders Tikhvin District of Leningrad... more

Orthodox monasteries
The Othodox monasteries. The oldest monasteries located on the territory of the Leningrad Oblast - the Monastery of the Dormition, the Monastery of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and the Zastenny Monastery of St. George in Ladoga were founded... more