Articles / Memorials to the Great Patriotic War

Memorials to the Great Patriotic War

Subject / Architecture/Sculpture, monuments, memorials

Memorials to the Great Patriotic War. The idea of creating memorials on the firing lines of the Leningrad defence appeared in the years of World War II. The first temporary monuments on the line of the Leningrad front were builtin 1944-45 after the liberation from the fashist occupation. They are not intacted till our days because they were made of wood and only some of them were made of stone. A monument of Glory and commemorative stele in honour of soldiers-liberators (the arcitect A.S. Nikolsky) were erected in 1946 in Tikhvin. In 1965 te idea of creating the united memorial complex at the former defence line of Leningrad -"The Green Belt of Glory" (see the article of the same name) came to. The memorial complex was built in some stages. The first memorials were completed by 9 May 1967. From the late 1960s till early 1970s building was continued and most of monuments were completed by the 30th anniversary of the Victory (May 1975). Among these constructions there are obelisks which marked the lines where the enemy was stopped: in particular, the obrlisk in the village of Russko-Vysotskoye (the Lomonosov district) marked the place where the extermination of the German Peterhofsko-Strlninskaya force was completed. Common soldier cemeteries and graves, samples of military equipment (the first Soviet tank entered into the settlement Ropsha in 1944), buildings and constructions marked with memorial tablets were included in the united memorial complex as independent elements. Besides the memorials included in "The Green Belt of Glory", in the Leningrad Oblast many monuments devoted to the liberation and defence of towns and settlements were constructed: in 1953 the memorial was built in "The Wood of 500" in Kingisepp, in 1969 the memorial "The Echo of War" was opened in Kirishi, in the 1970s the memorial to defenders of the Koporye fortress was built and many other memorials were constructed. There are memorials devoted to partisans' feats in every district of the Leningrad Oblast: "Red Mountains" in the Luga district, the memorial in the village of Gverezdno in the Slantsi district and others. The monument "The Glory of Partisans" in the town of Luga is the most famous one. The memorial complex "Malaya Khatyn" in the Volosovo district is devoted to victims of the fashism. The majority of memorials and monuments were built during the 1960-1980s. In the last ten years the restoration works of the being memorials and building new one were started. On September 9, 2000 "The Park of Peace"and the memorial cemeteries at the villages of Lez'ye and Sologubovka were opened. A memorable sign at the River Naziya (the Kirovsk district) devoted to soldiers of the 286th division was opened on May 29, 2002. This sign was erected instead of the one erected by veterans in 1988 and demolished barbarianly 5 years later. On May 3, 2005 the military glory memorial "An Unsubdued Height" on Kolokolnya (Bell tower) Mountain in the Lomonosov district. It was devoted to the feat of the Oraniyenbaum bridgehead defenders (the project of the composite author under the direction of the architect V.A. Kim). A memorable front line cross was erected at the village of Bor of the Volkhov district on May 6, 2005. It was erected in honour of the 310th Division of the 54th Army which stopped fashist troops at the cost of enormous tolls in November 1941. The unveiling of a memorial to "A Soldier - liberator" took place in the town of Tosno on May 6, 2005. Resources for creating it were collected by the town and fistrict citizens. Existed memorial graves were restored, the granite headstone was reconstructed, gravestones with names of fallen soldiers were erected, the eternal fire was lit. In May 2005 the memorial complex "Nevsky bridgehead" (see the article "Nevsky plot", the museum; the urban settlement of Dubrovka) was laid down on the foundation of the being memorial "Nevsky plot". The project. developed in the 1980s (the arcitect O. Romanov), assumes building a temple, creating the Alleyof Memory and museum.

Karpenko, Irina Aleksandrovna

Iogansen, Kirill Leonardovich
Kim, V.A.
Melikova, Maria Konstantinovna
Nikolsky, Aleksandr Sergeyevich
Petrov, Vasily Aleksandrovich
Romanov, O.
Sokolova, Olga Ivanovna

Leningrad Oblast, the/Volkhov District/Bor Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vsevolozhsk District/Dubrovka Urban Settlement
Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District/Gverezdno Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kingisepp District/Kingisepp Town
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirishi District/Kirishi Town
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District
Topographical landmarks/Kolokolnya, mountain
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Lezye Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Lomonosov District
Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District
Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District/Luga Town
Topographical landmarks/Naziya River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Lomonosov District/Ropsha Settlement
Leningrad Oblast, the/Lomonosov District/Russko-Vysotskoye Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Sologubovka Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Tikhvin District/Tikhvin Town
Leningrad Oblast, the/Tosno District/Tosno Town
Leningrad Oblast, the/Volosovo District

Гришина Л.И., Файнштейн Л.А., Великанова Г.Я. Памятные места Ленинградской области. Л., 1973., 50-67
Достопримечательности Ленинградской области / Сост. И.А.Орлова. Л., 1977., 273-306
Лукьянов Ю.А. Рубежи стойкости и мужества. Л., 1985., 89-144
Ганшин В. И., Сердобольский О. М. Кольцо памяти, кольцо славы. Л., 1988., 60-118
Семенова Т.М. «Каменная летопись» Великой Отечественной войны // Труды ГМИ СПб. Вып. 5. СПб., 2000, 324-343

Subject Index
"Echo of War", a memorial
"Green Belt of Glory", memorial constructions complex
Koporye Fortress
"Malaya Khatyn", memorial, the
"Monument of Reconciliation"
"Nevsky Bridgehead", memorial
"Partisans' Glory", monument, the
"Red Mountains", a memorial
"Soldier - Liberator", a monument
"The Grove of Five Hundred", memorial, the
"The Nevsky Patch", a museum
"The Park of Peace", memorial, the
"Unconquered Hill", memorial of military glory

Mentioned in articles:

Beseda, settlement
BESEDA, a settlement in Volosovo District. Population: 1000. Initially, it was an estate built by M. S. Lalayev in the early 19th c. The estate was purchased by A. F. Weimarn in 1829. P.A. Weinmarn, his son, was a resident in B. and he bequeathed ... more

Kotli, village
KOTLI (Finnish Kattila), a village in Kingisepp District. Population: 2013, mostly Russians and Vod. Located at the north-western end of the Izhora Hills, on a glint terrace. First mentioned in the 1499/1500 Rent Census Book of Vodskaya Pyatina as... more

Pikalyovo, town
PIKALYOVO, town in Boksitogorsk District. Population: 23,300. Located in the south-east of Leningrad Oblast, at the watershed of rivers of the Volga and Baltic basins, at the source of the Ryadan river, a left-hand branch of the Tikhvinka River, 45... more

Podporozhye District
PODPOROZHYE DISTRICT, municipal entity. Population: 35,200. Area: 7705.5 sq. km. Located in the north-east of Leningrad Oblast. In the north-west and north, it borders Olonets, Pryazha, and Prionezhsky Districts of the Republic of Karelia; in the... more

Podporozhye, town
PODPOROZHYE, town, adm. center of Podporozhye District. It is situated 285 km (280 km by railway) north-east of St. Petersburg, on the Svir River. Population: 20,300. The town’s name is related to the rapids on the Svir. The Lodeynoye Pole-Vytegra... more

Voznesenye, urban settlement
VOZNESENYE, an urban settlement in Podporozhye District. Population: 2,800. It is situated at the head of the Svir River flowing out of Lake Onega. It is connected to Podporozhye town with a motor road and via the Svir. North-east of V., towards... more